Saturday, July 12, 2008

If You Are Still Reading "The Center of Everything"

Hi...

I just wanted to let all of you know that the book club is still finishing up "The Center of Everything." We will continue to read and comment on the book until the end of next week. In all honesty, we were waiting for Kim to get back from vacation to begin, but Laura and I were too excited to wait. I was wondering, is there anyone else that plans on posting about the book?

Nicole and Laura, we would love to hear what novels you would like to read. Laura, I think that you said, "Eat, Pray, Love," but Kim has already read that book. So, please feel free to post any books that you would like to read.

For the next novel, I was thinking that we could read a classic or a mystery. I would like to mix up the genres. What about fantasy, historical fiction, or a collection of short stories? Just think about it!!!

As for now, just keep posting and commenting about "The Center of Everything." I thought that it was fantastic, but it would be really fantastic if I could share my thoughts with all of you.

Keep reading,

Erika

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Okay...I couldn't help but not post this...I was reading a Q & A with Laura Moriarty and one of the questions was book recommendations!!! She goes on to discuss audio books...here are LM's top 5...

Recommend five or more books on a single subject of personal interest or expertise.

I really like to listen to audio books. I know some purists — I could think of other terms for them — who believe that actual reading is the only true way to take in literature, but that's just ridiculous. People were listening to stories long before they were reading them. And would you really argue that a blind person just couldn't get as much from a story as a person with sight? I don't listen to books when I drive, probably because I don't drive that much, but I listen to them when I go on long walks. I also keep a walkman on my nightstand with some audio book inside. I can have terrible insomnia, but having someone read me a story usually knocks me right out. Even if I'm wide awake and jittery, I rarely make it through an entire tape. And on the rare occasion I'm still awake, well then, I've gotten some reading in. I am usually listening to one book and reading one book at any given moment. Some are better than others. A lot of it depends on the narrator — they're often read by the author, but sometimes it's a really talented actor or professional reader. Here are five of my favorites:

The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton: A Novel by Jane Smiley

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

American Pastoral by Philip Roth

The Language of Life (collected discussions with poets) by Bill Moyers

PS - I also posted two suggestions of my own but thought this was a good share

Kim said...

Cool, Nicole! I have been thinking about delving into some audio books for my drive to work and all these plane rides.

I love that The Poisonwood Bible is listed.

Erika said...

I love audio books. Some of the voices are great. I also loved "The Poisonwood Bible." :o)I listen to "Lolita" and "In Cold Blood" on my ipod, but I always fall asleep. I listened to "The Hobbit" and that was great. :o)