I have just finished reading, "The Center of Everything"...I happened to log on last Friday and noticed that people had not only started reading but Erika had finished :0 I thought we were waiting...lol!!! It's all good though, I finished last night...I will post my comments shortly.
I wanted to give my book suggestions for the next novel...
(TWO GREAT NOVELS...Flowers for Algernon and The God of Small Things)
The God of Small Things By: Arundhati Roy -----
Synopses & Reviews
Publisher Comments:
When their English cousin and her mother arrive on a Christmas visit, the twins learn that Things Can Change in a Day. That lives can twist into new, ugly shapes, even cease forever. The brilliantly plotted story uncoils with an agonizing sense of foreboding and inevitability. Yet nothing prepares you for what lies at the heart of it.
Review:
Synopsis:
Flowers for Algernon By: Danielle Keyes -----
Synopses & Reviews
Publisher Comments:
As the treatment takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment appears to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance, until Algernon suddenly deteriorates. Will the same happen to Charlie?
WINNER OF THE HUGO AWARD AND THE NEBULA AWARD
The classic novel that inspired the Academy Award-winning movie Charly
Daniel Keyes, the author of eight books, was born in Brooklyn, New York, and received his B.A. and M.A. degrees from Brooklyn College. Professor emeritus at Ohio University, he lives in Boca Raton, Florida.
Synopsis:
Synopsis:
With more than five million copies sold, Flowers for Algernon is the beloved, classic story of a mentally disabled man whose experimental quest for intelligence mirrors that of Algernon, an extraordinary lab mouse. In poignant diary entries, Charlie tells how a brain operation increases his IQ and changes his life. As the experimental procedure takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment seems to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance-until Algernon begins his sudden, unexpected deterioration. Will the same happen to Charlie?An American classic that inspired the award-winning movie Charly, Flowers for Algernon now returns to Harcourt as a Harvest paperback.
I couldn't choose between the two but I figured two suggestions was better than none ;) Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
4 comments:
"The God of Small Things" sounds like an interesting read, for sure. I actually read "Flowers for Algernon" for school (10th grade). So I know Laura did and Erika may have too since we all had the same teacher. I was not impacted by the book back then, but that doesn't mean anything! It could be a completely different experience if I read it again. Even though I loved reading back then too, I was often too caught up in my own world to give some books the proper attention. Ha
I'm down for whatever...
Yes, I already read that book, too. I would love to read it again or we could read "The God of Small Things." Let me know what you decide and I will get that book ASAP. Great choices, Nicole.
Thanks for your the quick responses ladies!! I say we go for "The God of Small Things" since neither of you have read that already... I have the book already and I am ready to begin when you are :)
Sounds good! I will probably get it Tuesday.
Post a Comment