After reading "The Center of Everything," I realized that there are numerous things to say about the title. You can think of Evelyn being in the center of everything, or you can think about family, religion, or dreams to be the center of everything. When I was reading the book, I kept thinking about what I believed when I was a kid. All I can remember is that I wanted everyone to like me. I wanted to have cool clothes, cool hair, and a boyfriend. That's right. I wanted a boyfriend. When Evelyn talks about Travis, I can't help but to think of myself. I tried to be nonchalant in front of boys, but I could never hide my feelings. I think that Evelyn resisting Travis (especially in the end) shows how mature she really is-I also believe that her resistance is a form of rebellion from her mother, Tina. As you know, Tina is kinda promiscuous and Evelyn is trying to not be like her mother.
One of the most awkward scenes in the book is when Evelyn and Tina go to ask the grandfather for money. I smirked when I read the whole horse/whore bit, but I was so sad that the grandfather was such a jerk. I was annoyed that he couldn't just forgive Tina and love her and Evelyn. I hated how cheesy he acted towards Evelyn. He kept treating her like she was a 4-year-old. Yuck.
I was unsure of how the book was going to end, but I was pleased for the most part. I like books that answer some questions but leave some unanswered questions as well. :o)
~Erika
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Like Erika this novel forced (without persuasion) me to reminisce on my childhood. It made me think back to the choices I had made. I related to Evelyn in many ways... I felt a gravitational pull towards her character especially on the level of 'fending for herself'... Don't get me wrong I had a decent childhood however, my parents divorced when I was 6 and for the most part my mother was a single parent. She worked HARD to provide for my sister and I. However, I found myself growing up too fast...kind of like Evelyn. In addition, I had a great relationship (and still do) with my grandmother (mother's mom). In so many ways I understood where Evelyn was...another instance was when Travis liked Deena...my best friend Christole S. was a heartbreaker! I remember a similar instance with my crush Joe T. and his infatuation with Christole!! I was like Evelyn...I never had an 'intimate relationship' in high school although I had boyfriends I never allowed myself to have a sexual relationship mainly because of my mother's struggle...I think Evelyn's reasoning is the same...even if Travis would have chose her I think she would have waited to take that step...
There is a time in life when we try to make sense of what is yet to come, who we are and who we really want to be. This process is hard even under the best circumstances. The Center of Everything is a perfect example of life choices and the results. With every novel that I read I take something with me, this book was an excellent journey for me to take at this point in my life! In fact, the timing couldn't have been better.
I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did!
Great Choice,
Nicole
Post a Comment